Friday, October 09, 2009

Easy to forget

I am finding it easy to forget where I am, too easy.
Recently, I have started working at my Alma Mater - the University of Alabama. Campus sits in the middle of most everything, so much it blends into the backdrop. Being on campus is not strange, though I graduated in 1992, because my wife has been attending classes until last August.

Now, I have an office in a newer annex of one of the older buildings on campus, one where I attended classes when I was in school. My window views a nearby building over an alley, so no students enter my awareness during a normal day, and though I take the stairs, instead of taking the elevator, and sometime see a few students in the hall, they easily slip from my mind as soon as I reenter the "office space" and leave the "institutional yellow block walled hall."

I am finding it way too easy to forget that I am sitting on campus, surrounded by students, classes, instructors and professors. I need to take my wife's advice and get out for a walk during lunch. The exercise and fresh air would be good and it would remind me where I am and for whom I am doing this job.

Note to self: Bring sneakers to the office.



No comments: